Sunday, June 5, 2011

..and who do they say I am?

...and who do you say I am?

When Jesus needed to be identified as the Messiah, the Son of God, the Bible suggests that he repeatedly ask his disciples and people Het met, including the Samaritan woman, who they thought he was. In John 14:6, he explicitly states: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one goes to the Father except through me. He also states explicitly “he who believes in me will not die forever, but rather have eternal life.”

While neither the Bible nor any esoteric writing explicitly discusses anyone else impersonating Jesus at his time, it is clear that Jesus himself thought he was either misidentified or confused with someone else, in particular, with John the Baptist, as mentioned by some of his disciples.

The biblical passages mentioned here are quite relevant to today's identity theft crisis. While people can be impersonated by look-alikes or confounded with others on the look, the idea of impostoring or impersonating someone else in literature is widely presented in various master pieces. I will refer to this topic more in detail in one of my next writings. I actually won an important literary prize to several senior writers of the time with my short story “That Obscene Character called María”, in which María is actually impersonated by Gertrudis, the false María.

However, when it comes to Jesus, this is a unique character that provides ideal value to Christianity, Catholicism, and the entire nation accepting Jesus as the Messiah.  Besides, in spite of the many miracles that many witnessed from Jesus, his resurrection is crucial to everyone's expectations on salvation, as described by the Apostle Paul. Those who believe in and expect on Him, will not die, but live forever.

No comments: